Sunday, January 22, 2017

An Open Letter to the New President

Editor's Note: This reflection is from Christine Alwan. You can follow her on Twitter @ChristineAlwan, and I should have published it on Friday, but I'm a bit slow...



An Open Letter to Donald Trump on the Day of His Election

Dear Mr. Trump,

First, I want to congratulate you on becoming the president of the United States.

This is an incredible honor. I would like to congratulate you on winning the seat of

the highest office in the land. I would like to congratulate you on becoming the

commander-in- chief of our armed forces and the representative of a nation that I

love so much.

Although I did not vote for you, I do not hate you. Yes, there are times when you

tried me with your Tweets or statements about women or minority groups, I cannot

and do not hate you. I love you, Donald Trump. You are my brother in Christ. I love

you because my faith demands it. I love you because Jesus loves you. I love you

because, as a person, Jesus lives in you.

Although we see differently on certain issues, know that you can count on my

prayers. Know that I will pray for you and your family. Becoming the president of

the United States is not small potatoes. I pray that this job will reaffirm for your faith

in Jesus Christ, wherever you may be on that journey – and truly, it is a journey for

all of us. I pray that your marriage will remain strong and rooted in love. I pray that

your children will feel your love, the love of Christ, and the love of this country

because, at the end of the day, regardless of their ages, they did not choose this

honor, which also comes with its own challenges.

I pray that your presidency will introduce you to new people and ideas that will

encourage you to think creatively and constructively about both the strengths and

the weaknesses of our country. I pray that your presidency will encourage you to

develop relationships with good people on both sides of the aisle and that these

bipartisan friendships will provide hope for our country. I pray that the Holy Spirit

will guide you in your conversations with others, so that you may speak with

wisdom, clarity, kindness, humility, and prudence.

I pray that your presidency will help you see that what makes our country great are

the people so often considered the least among us:

- The immigrants (documented or not) who are participating in a great act of

hope by moving to this country to provide a better life for themselves and

their families.

- The unborn, some of the most vulnerable among us, who provide hope for a

new future and continue to challenge all of us to be in awe of their

unconditional love, their neediness, their smallness, the way in which they

radically transform our lives with one little plus sign on a pregnancy test.

- Women who are striving – as single moms or single women or married moms

or married women without children or consecrated religious – to bring a

greater appreciation of the feminine genius to our culture. Women who

deserve to have their dignity upheld at all stages of their lives, who deserve

equal pay for equal work in their struggle to provide for their families.

- People of both Christian and non-Christian faiths, who continue to grow and

be guided by the Holy Spirit, who works in their lives as they practice a

fundamental right that built this nation: to practice their religion free from

fear or government intervention.

- The elderly, who have great wisdom and humility, who deserve honor,

respect, and the acknowledgement of their human dignity at this twilight

season of their lives.

- The unemployed, who are discouraged and struggling, but who still manage

to hold on to that sliver of hope that they will be able to provide for

themselves and their families, who are willing to brave rejection day after

day in the hopes of a future.

- The outsiders who think outside the box, who may not “fit” the mold of

traditional Americans, whatever that means for any one of us, who are the

“least among us,” who challenge us to see through differences and treat all

human beings with dignity and respect, regardless of our differences with

them.

I pray that you will see how everyone – from the least among us to the greatest – is

included in the people that you will now govern. I pray that you will exercise

wisdom and prudence, patience and humility, justice and mercy as you lead our

nation. I pray that you continue cultivate the virtues you excel at, as well as the

virtues you struggle with, for a man is only as strong as his greatest weakness.

I pray that you are unafraid to ask for help or a second opinion when you need it. I

pray that you have humble confidence and a sense of peace when you are sure that a

course of action is the right and moral one.

And I pray that, above all, you remember that, at the end of your life, all of these

choices will be placed at the foot of Jesus. And I pray that, at this time, He will be

able to look at you in love – the love that motivates me to love you more fiercely and

intentionally – and that He will be able to say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

I pray that your career in public service is the means of your sanctification. Because

for all of us to be great, truly great, we must be the least. We must come to serve, not

to be served. And so, in advance, I thank you for your service to this country.

May God bless you and keep you. Know that I and my Catholic brothers and sisters

will be praying for you.

Sincerely,

A Citizen of the Great United States of America

1 comment:

  1. Perfect, Christine! You have managed to include all that I have been praying for. Can you please send this to him at the White House?

    ReplyDelete