Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Catholic Twitter Takes- Your Favorite Christmas Mass


You may be surprised to know that when it comes to the best time to celebrate the feast of the Nativity of Our Lord, Catholics have some pretty strong opinions. 

From the Christmas Eve Children’s Dress-Up Mass, to the thrilling epic at Midnight, to the typically less packed Christmas morning Mass, there are plenty of reasons Catholics tend to stick with one or the other. 

And while the Christmas Mass we prefer tends to fluctuate based on our current lot in life (six kids under six can make Midnight Mass a pretty tough sell), most of us seem to hold on to the traditions of our family when we think about one of the most important holidays of the year. 

But, don’t just take my word for it!

We pitched the topic to the Catholic corners of Twitter, and the response was pretty impressive:

@heyitsrealdeal: Evening Christmas Eve. No kids, most peaceful, least stressful. 

@nosdnome: first one Christmas morning. I'm a morning person and most people are sleeping or with their kids 

@catholicoptimist: Midnight Mass because my church is absolutely stunning and the nuns and brothers sing throughout the whole Mass 

@FrMatthewLC: As a priest I try to do Midnight Mass, Mass at dawn and Christmas Day Mass. 

@GregoryGhering: Midnight Mass, because that time feels to me the most similar to that of the Nativity's events. 

@FaithRicknfaith: Back when I had little children it was the Children's Christmas Eve Mass at 4:45.  Now we go to (and love) the midnight Mass 

@CatholicMomVA: Midnight. I think it's the Catholic equivalent of posting “FIRST”. More seriously, Dad told me it was the Mass for outcast. He would say that the drunks & homeless people would come to Midnight Mass, along w all the families. That really stuck w me. 

@CathyKallberg: Since our church moved "Midnight" to 10pm (WHAT???) we go to 6pm Christmas Eve and then dinner with friends who are family. 

@MbernadetteE: before kids I loved midnight mass now that I have a kid we usually do a 6 p.m. vigil

@CatholicMama: prefer Christmas morning. Vigil is standing room only, Midnight doesn't really work with overtired kids. 

@LauraKFanucci: Love midnight Mass but not happening w/kids for another decade. We opt for Christmas morning. All the vigil Masses = mayhem.  

@christian_state: as a priest, I sorta have to do all. :) 

And thanks be to God for our priests who have given up so much to be available to do it all, as Father Harrison pointed out. 

We put the question out in a simple poll, “I prefer celebrating Christmas by going to…”, and after grabbing 201 votes the results shook out this way:

37% Christmas Even Vigil
43% Midnight Mass
20% Christmas Day

So, dear reader, now that you’ve seen what the Catholic corners of Twitter have to say, which Mass do you prefer attending to celebrate Christmas and why?

1 comment:

  1. There is a difference between what I prefer and what I do. My Mom likes us all to gather for a 3:30 Pm Mass, but you have to get there by 2:30 to get a good seat. Then we have dinner and exchange presents (or presents and then dinner. Depends on ages of kids). I think I'd prefer to go to a dawn service now that my kids are grown.

    ReplyDelete