Wednesday, October 19, 2016

We Are All Cafeteria Catholics


This morning, a tweet popped up into my feed with the headline "Tim Kaine is a Cafeteria Catholic!" 

While his publicly stated opinion on abortion gives truth to the claim that he's picking and choosing from the Catechism, I'd like to make a couple of observations. 

First, we should not be judging people's hearts when it comes to the adherence to the Catholic faith. Is it helpful in any way to point out that someone is a "Cafeteria Catholic"? Is the purpose of making such a claim to bring them back to the fullness of truth? Or, is it just a simple knee jerk reaction to throw around pejoratives in our social media  crazy culture these days? 

Second, let's just be honest with each other:

We are all Cafeteria Catholics.

As hard as we try, as much as we believe, the reality is that we fail to live up to the fullness of the truths of our faith on a daily basis. 

I know that's true for me, and I'm assuming that's true for you. 

I know gossip is wrong, and yet I gossip. 

I know judging others is wrong, and yet I judge. 

I know I should be doing more to help the poor, and yet I upgrade to the newest iPhone because that's what I want in the moment, rather than pushing myself to give until it hurts. 

In short, I'm a sinner, even though I've come to understand the truths of the Gospel. 

Sure, I can chalk this up to concupiscence. Sure, I can blame original sin. 

But much, if not all, of the blame is squarely on my shoulders, on my refusal to live out the teachings of Christ and His Church even though I fully understand them. 

Even though I hate the thought of it, I am a Cafeteria Catholic. 

Thank God for Confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment