Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Hillary Clinton and the Permanence of Marriage


I always had a difficult time understanding why Catholics had such a problem with Pope Francis' much repeated "Who am I to judge" comment.

Yesterday, when I tweeted about Hillary Clinton's marriage, I began to see more clearly. 


While I understand the reason around Catholic negativity when it comes to Clinton (the list is lengthy and justified, quite frankly), I felt like it would only be fair to also take a moment to recognize the fact that she is still married to a husband who cheated on her.

If we care so much about marriage, and never miss a moment to point out when our culture has taken it off its intended course, why aren't we as quick to take a moment to point out when someone got it right?

I'm not pretending to have any inside info on the marriage. I don't pretend to make any guesses about the quality of their marriage, even a little bit. After all, who am I to judge? 

However, the basic facts to form this thought are there. Hillary's husband was engaged in what became a very public rejection of the exclusivity of their marriage, and while almost all of our culture would have backed her and supported her if she made the decision to leave, she didn't. She stuck with her husband, despite the intense violation of their marital vows he was engaged in. 

Instead of making judgments about why she stuck around, let's just mention how cool it is that she did stick around. 

This doesn't mean I think she'd be a great President, this doesn't mean I would vote for her, but it does mean that I think she deserves a little respect from those of us who respect marriage so darn much. 

Now, feel free to go ahead and continue to tell me how wrong I am :)

1 comment:

  1. So this post made me think of the famous Mother Teresa quote, "If you judge others, you have no time to love them." And I think this applies here. I'm not advocating for a love of her policies or her politics, because those are certainly open to judgment and discussion, but I do advocate leaving judging behind -- while finding something constructive to fill that space, instead, if that makes sense. So I think it's possible to respect the fact that she stayed with Bill, while at the same time challenging what she stands for politically. To not do so would continue in this black/white, binary sense of how people view the world, that does so much damage.

    I find myself doing this all time: I might have an opinion about something/someone, and I confuse that for actually doing/changing something about it. I think that's been a huge problem these days. So I guess, in this instance, if you're struggling with judging her marriage or making assumptions about it, turn that judgment into action (and not just reaction) about what she stands for, and go from there. (Some annoying, unsolicited advice for everyone!)

    ReplyDelete