Tuesday, June 7, 2016

It Leaves Me Catholic

Editor's Note: Today we bring you a great post from the one and only Jane Korvemaker! You need to check her out at her website and on Twitter right now!


I never knew that I was a hipster until I was a part of one of Tommy’s Twitter Polls. Then somehow it all made sense – especially when I came in last. I mean, how hipster is that? 
When I look at the faces of Catholicism online, I don’t usually see one that mirrors me. I see head scarfs, I see Confession every other day (or more), I see no-girls-in-the-sanctuary, I see down-with-extraordinary-Eucharistic-ministers, but I don’t see what seems to be how I experience Catholicism; it tends to be lumped in with ‘those liberals’ in a very negative way. I don’t do the head scarf thing (go for it if it’s you though) and I likely never will. I go to reconciliation reasonably often (we are absolved in the Mass, after all, and I’m not big into mortal sins usually) but not every week (or every other week, at this point), I’m completely in favour of girl altar servers, I relish the opportunity for laity to be (extraordinary) Eucharistic ministers, and I’m open to learning more about the early church’s women deacons. All this and I know I’m not off-base in considering myself a serious Catholic. Nor am I a radical liberal. Where does that leave me? 
Catholic.
It leaves me Catholic.
And that’s the beauty of this big grand faith of which we share – we are, to quote an ages-old song, ‘many the gifts, many the works, one in the Lord of all.’ (One Bread, One Body, circa 500AD. Just kidding). Perhaps some people ooze with discontent at the thought that my Catholicism is the same as theirs, but we have a creed to clear that up: 
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, his only Son our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell and on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Unity in diversity – we may not all agree on how we should best live out our Catholic faith, and there are some non-negotiables, but Jesus did pray that we may be one. Fr. Thomas Rosica (of Salt & Light TV - http://saltandlighttv.org/) recently made comments on this too, “Many of my non-Christian and non-believing friends have remarked to me that we ‘Catholics’ have turned the Internet into a cesspool of hatred, venom and vitriol, all in the name of defending the faith!” from CruxNow.
How can they know we are Christians if we can’t even put up with our pesky siblings and take up Jesus’ challenge to us to love others as he has loved us, even within our own church? I may not always agree with some rhetoric out there, but truly, even if I suspect you are more conservative than I, you are a much-needed person in our church and you are not replaceable. 

I’m not conservative by most Catholic internet standards, but I heartily embrace my Catholic faith to the core. You can find me sitting here researching ‘women deacons – early church,’ sipping my Iced Cap, and retweeting Tommy.

2 comments:

  1. So with you on this topic. I left the Catholic Church for about 2 years and joined a beautiful Episcopalian one because of some of the most vile comments on divorce. I married a divorced man in a civil ceremony and felt so outside my parish doors. It is Pope Francis that had me back in with his beautiful piece on the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love his words on the family too! And his constant call to mercy is what also enkindles my heart. I hope you've found a supportive community and I'm glad you're able to rejoin the CC.

      Delete