Friday, December 18, 2015

On Mother Teresa Becoming a Saint


So, the news that Blessed Mother Teresa would be elevated to a saint in 2016 has been sweeping across the Catholic Twitterverse last night and today.

I'm sure a few handfuls of bloggers will be spilling ink on Mother Teresa today, so I figured...why not me?


I'll be honest, I wasn't initially a gigantic Mother Teresa fan.

I know that's an mega unpopular opinion, but it's true!

In all honesty, I felt like there were plenty of people doing the same kind of good work she was doing, and yet she was getting the spotlight.

Okay, I have to couch this in the fact that I was a cafeteria Catholic at the time, but there's an obvious turnaround coming, so hang on to your hats.

For Christmas one year, one of my in-laws gave me the book Come Be My Light, which contained the private writings of Mother Teresa.

This changed everything for me.

Her experience, of feeling completely spiritually dry, to the point of not even knowing if God existed anymore, really hit home to me.

She would feel absolutely nothing while helping the poor, absolutely nothing when praying, absolutely nothing when doing the amazing work she was doing.

And yet, she pushed on.

She kept praying, kept working, kept helping the poor even in the most terrible conditions.

That blew my mind.

Without those spiritual carrots that come along the way, I don't know if I'd be able to carry on with even the most menial of difficulties. But the fact that she did, really spoke to me, really impressed me, and really convinced me of her holiness and amazing heroic virtue.

So, here I am, cheering on the coming canonization of Blessed Mother Teresa, and loving every minute of it.

How excited are all of you?

Blessed Mother Teresa, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment