Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My Response to a FOCUS Article From Today


If you read this weblog, you have probably noticed that I often take issue with many of the blog posts over at FOCUS.

Don't get me wrong, I think FOCUS is a great organization, and I don't want to start a beef, but once again I find myself miffed by one of their articles.

Here is my response to Something to Remember When You're Playing the "Waiting Game"  by Matt Newell.



First off, you can check out the article here. 

My initial response to this article was that I am sick and tired of blog posts in the Catholic world that talk about the difficulties in waiting for a spouse to walk into your life.

Granted, I'm married, so I'm sure that plays into my annoyance at these articles...

However, I think the general issue of making this such a big deal by producing post after post after post is what really gets to me.

That isn't my main concern with the article, though.

My frustration comes from a line that was bolded for emphasis, toward the bottom of the article:

And If you keep saying “yes” to Him in the little things like these, I promise the bigger things, like your job and your vocation, will fall into place.


Ah yes, one of the perennial things we hear from the Catholic social media world...

If you just say yes to God, and give your life over to Him, everything will fall into place.

I don't want to be overly dramatic here, but I really think that this is one of the most dangerous messages that comes out of the Catholic Blogosphere.

And I believe that, because this message simply isn't true.

Plenty of us have worked hard, each and every day, to give our "yes" to God, and for many of us, we find our lives getting more difficult, more flooded with struggles, and often nearly impossible to keep that yes going strong.

When we hear this message, that everything will fall into place if only we say yes, we can fall into a trap of thinking that our yes isn't enough of a yes.

"Well, I think I'm saying yes to God, but obviously my yes isn't good enough right now because my job hasn't fallen into place."

While I'm sure the intention of the message is positive, it misses the entire point of saying yes to God.

We don't say yes to God because it will lead to everything falling into place.

Far from it.

As St. Teresa of Avila once famously said to Jesus, "If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have to few of them."

Our yes to God is an acknowledgement that we are not of this world, and not meant to find comfort in this world. Sure, Jesus wants us to be happy and comfortable, but that isn't the reality of life most of the time.

Much of the time, we say yes to God and have a miscarriage. Much of the time, we say yes to God and can't even get an interview for a job. Much of the time, we say yes to God and continue to have relationship problems, family fights, illness, and even unexpected death.

The goal to our yes is not to achieve some worldly victory, like having the perfect job or feeling fantastic about our vocation day in and day out.

The goal of our yes is to pick up our cross daily and follow Him.

And He didn't promise that "the bigger things would fall into place." 

He promised Eternal Life. 

And I'll take that promise over anything that I might achieve in this world, any day. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. My experience is my yes to God really annoys the devil so things may get worse before they get better.

    ReplyDelete