Monday, October 19, 2015

The Joe Biden Option


The Presidential field for the 2016 election, on both sides, has been anything but hopeful to me.

Today, however, an anticipated piece of news dropped that has me thinking.

Vice President Joe Biden has decided to enter the race for the Democratic nomination.

Now, we all kind of know the story of Joe Biden. He's portrayed as another in a long line of "Catholic" politicians, seemingly supporting things that go completely against Church teaching. On the face, it would seem that Catholics would have no business supporting Biden, but I wanted to take a closer look to see what a Catholic Hipster should do with this new hat tossed in the ring.

Specifically, I wanted to look at what Joe recently said on abortion that perked up all of our ears:

"I’m prepared to accept that at the moment of conception there’s human life and being, but I’m not prepared to say that to other God­-fearing [and] non­-God­-fearing people that have a different view. Abortion is always wrong. All the principles of my faith, [which] I make no excuse for attempting to live up to — I don’t all the time. But I’m not prepared to impose doctrine that I’m prepared to accept on the rest of [the country]."

Yes, this sounds like a classic political line. "I believe in something, but I don't want to impose my views on the rest of the Nation who may not think the same way." Obviously, this is a logic fail, since all laws and rules are imposing "someone's" beliefs on everyone else, but let's going beyond this for a moment.

Despite the fact that he isn't pushing legislation that would bring an end to abortion, Joe Biden has expressly mentioned that is is "always wrong." That statement is something of political suicide for Democrats in this day and age, and I think it speaks to something deeper that may be worth looking at. 

Would it be worth thinking about bringing him aboard, simply because he is Catholic, and it would be better to have an "under performing" Catholic in the White House than no Catholic at all? Is there a better chance that a Catholic might "develop" more toward an alignment with Church teaching during his/her stay on Pennsylvania Ave?

Now, there are clearly some other serious issues with Biden, his stance on marriage as an example, but after thinking it through, I think it would be unfair to simply close the book on this guy because he's Obama's VP.

There may be something worth looking at here...

What say everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment