Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My Benedict Option


Well, as you probably could have guessed, the opening of the Synod has led to the re-re-discussion of the Benedict Option.

Ugh.

If you're a Catholic on Twitter, you've surely seen the cornucopia of articles discussing the idea of faithful Catholics withdrawing from the culture as a way of avoiding the sinking ship and eventually being a beacon to the culture of what it wishes it could be.

Again, ugh.

This tired conversation, dragged out time and time again in recent months and years, has pushed me to the edge.

To help cope, I'm going to engage in my own Benedict Option.

The Benedict XVI Option.

B16 was a man who loved his beer, and I think that he was intentionally showing us a better way, a better option, for coping with the travails of being in the world while not being of the world.

And so, I will raise my pint glass tonight, and invite you to do the same, in honor of The Catholic Hipster's Benedict Option...which is much more appealing than moving out in the dessert somewhere to live like hermits, in my humble opinion.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment