Friday, October 23, 2015

How Hipster is Ornithology?


I'm pretty sure all the Catholic Birders out there would agree: Ornithology is totally Hipster.

And, if you are a serious birder, today is a seriously hip feast day!

Happy Feast of St. John of Capistrano!

As most of you probably know, the Swallows of Capistrano (or, Salmon, if you're a Dumb & Dumber fan) are kind of a big deal, as the birds return to the mission named for the great saint on an annual basis, drawing all kids of tourists both Catholic and non-Catholic alike.

Being an Orange County native, this feast brings on special significance for me, and kind of makes me long for the land of my youth. Growing up in Orange County, being able to hit up the Mission of San Juan Capistrano whenever we wanted, was pretty epic.

It is also the site of the only standing/still functioning chapel where St. Junipero Serra said Mass...and I've attend Latin Mass there...which makes me a certified Hipster, I'd say.

Anyway, let's get out there and enjoy the birds today...don't forget your binoculars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment