Monday, September 14, 2015

I'm Getting Bored With Pretentiousness in the Blogosphere



It's a trap we all fall into from time to time, present company included.

When we write about the way we practice our Catholic faith, the things we like about our faith journey, or just our life in general, there can be a tendency to fall into a sort of pretentiousness...and I'm straight up getting bored with it.

It's the post that insinuates that everyone who attends the Extraordinary Form of the Mass is head and shoulders better than us normal folks. It's the tweet that says, "I pray the Divine Office, and that's the only way to be cool and grow close to God." It's the article written by the lady who extols the virtues of living in a completely Victorian world, while asking you to like her Facebook page and calling all modern conveniences "trash."

It's a flat out annoying part of the blogosphere: the "my preference is better than your preference" mentality, and I, for one, am over it.

I'm longing for a blogosphere where we all share things without pushing the notion that it's the very best way. You know, maybe a post that imparts the idea of "I think this is cool, but it definitely won't work for everyone, so, you know, just be yourself."

Since the Catholic Blogosphere sits in the spot to being a beacon of light to the rest of the world, why not let it start with us?

Let's ditch the pretentiousness, and just be cool...

But, now that I think of it, maybe this post is being pretentious about hating pretentiousness...so feel free to call me out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment