Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Case For Holding Hands During the Our Father



I know, I know, I'm outing myself as far less than the Catholic Hipster I pretend to be on Twitter.

That's because NOT holding hands during the Our Father at Mass is clearly the hipster way to go.

After all, the hand holding, the lifting up during the final portion of the prayer, the squeezing to make sure your kids know they need to behave...none of that can be found in the GIRM!

And, fair enough, this leads a lot of people to suggest that hand holding during the Our Father needs to stop. Either that, or they just don't like holding the hands of strangers.

I can completely understand both of these vantage points, and I have to say that I dabble in them from time to time...especially when the lady next to me has been sneezing into her hand since we were belting out "Gather Us In" at the opening of the Mass.

And yet, here I am, making a case for holding hands during the Our Father.

Let me frame this by saying that I'm not a giant fan of interacting with people.

Despite what you may have assumed from this weblog or my people-friendly Twitter feed, I would far prefer to sit at home than go out and hang out with people in real life. And when it comes to touching people, like holding hands, hugging, and other normal signs of affection?

I'll pass.

And that is exactly why I'm all for holding hands during the Our Father.

It all comes down to the fact that Mass is different from the rest of our lives. It is unlike any other place we go, meeting we attend, social hour we dread but still show up for.

It is literally Heaven touching down on Earth, and the more things we can do to clearly differentiate Mass from all of our other experiences, the better.

It's a great reminder that we are somewhere special. Somewhere we allow someone to place the Bread of Life directly on our tongues, somewhere we share the hymnal even though the person next to us sings like Froggy from the Little Rascals, somewhere we can actually feel happy to be with other people because we are all standing, present together, worshiping the One True God.

And, if holding hands with some stranger with the sniffles helps to drive that idea home a little better, I'm all for it.

Flood gates: You may now open.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice article!! I've never thought about this in such a way. I've always supported holding hands but this was a refreshing way of seeing it :) after all, we do say OUR Father. Not my Father. God bless and stay rad for God!!

    ReplyDelete