Sunday, August 23, 2015

EPH Chapter Five Has Got Me Like...

Oh great, another post on Ephesians Chapter Five. 

Yawn. 

I know, I know, it's been said...and that's why I'm going to try and take a slightly different angle on yesterday's Second Reading.


Many wives, and women in general, find the idea of being "subordinate" to be quite the turn off. Of course, you can click on any number of Catholic blogs this morning and read all about how husbands and wives are meant to be subordinate to each other, and how if a man is laying down his life for his wife as Christ does for the Church, everything is going to work out great. 

That's all well and good, but my difficulty with Ephesians Chapter Five is the idea that the husband is the head of the household, the one that everyone in the family looks to for big and small decisions that will guide the family closer to God and a right way of life. 

It's not that I don't understand the truth of that idea, it's that I have a terribly difficult time embracing that role in my own life. 

Like with most of my deficiencies, I like to blame our culture. I feel like I have grown up in a culture that has trained me not to take the role of the a leader. Instead, I have been trained to always defer decisions to others. Everything from "what should we have for dinner," to "should we really spend all that money on a new washing machine," tends to freeze me up. I often feel incapable of making any decision at all. 

The response of, "Whatever you think would be best, sweetie," to my wife is less a sign of love and respect and more a sign of my fear and weakness to actually make a decision. I'm certain this is all linked toward a fear of failure on my part, terrified that a decision I make for our family, no matter how small, will lead to tragic results that I will be blamed for the rest of my life for causing. 

And yet, my wife, being the amazing person that she is, is always leading me toward taking that role. She is always praying with me to have the strength to be the head of the household. And even though it terrifies me, I know that it is the role that God wants me to embrace. I know that by facing the fear of failure, praying about decisions, and guiding my family, I will grow in holiness. 

And that's what Ephesians Chapter Five is all about, really. My wife is there, doing everything she can to make me holy, even by being willing to go along with a decision that she may not understand at the time. And me, being willing to die to my fears of making the wrong decision, all for the sake of leading my family back to God without blemish. 

It's amazing. It's terrifying. And it's challenging for men as well as women. 

Today, let's all take a tiny step toward embracing the role that God has laid out for us in this life...it's surely the best way to get back to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment