Monday, July 13, 2015

Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover: A Review of Chastity is for Lovers

Well, my wife and I finally stopped being heretics, and picked up our very own copy of Arleen Spenceley's book Chastity is for Lovers.


So, I'm not sure that this is the best way to start out a book review, but I'm going for it anyway:

That cover!

Positives: It's Cute. Negatives: It's Cute.

Chastity is for Lovers is a book for everyone! The virtue of chastity told with the wit and wisdom of Arleen's writing style is so darned important. The problem, for manly men like me, is that the cover is...well...girly. If this was the chastity book written solely with female high schoolers in mind, I think they hit the nail on the head, but simply because of the fact that this book is for everyone, men/women/young/old/single/married, I think the cover could use some work to help the book appeal to a broader audience.

Okay, now that I'm done with my rant, let me explain to you why this book is so special:

Arleen Spenceley writes with ease, and in a style that has you feeling comfortable with this topic that is typically considered anything but. Her honesty and candor is refreshing, and really makes for a page-turner. Chastity is for Lovers feels more like a conversation than a book, like you're having a chat with an old friend about the long and often difficult path to virtue. 

One of my favorite things is that it's a book that's perfect for sparking conversations! My wife and I spent every night, while we were reading the book, discussing some new topic Arleen brought up for us. From the idea of not lowering one's standards even when you're sick and tired of being alone, to the hilarious and at the same time horrific stories about the dudes trying to "get some," Arleen provides great fodder for great conversation about a topic that we don't take the time to discuss all that much. 

Also, let me just say, Arleen is hilarious. Never before have I laughed so hard in relation to Popeye's Chicken.

Chastity is for Lovers is the perfect mix of serious and hilarious, and I think that's one of the secrets to allowing it's powerful message to get across loud and clear. 

The many flawed examples of faith leaders and youth groups trying to spread the message of chastity led my wife to remark, "I want to show this to every single youth minister we know." Arleen goes a long way toward showing that the Gospel message is the only way to get the point of chastity across, the only way that chastity can even start to make sense. It is in the importance of reminding everyone of their value and worth, no matter their history and no matter their difficulties in cultivating the viture of chastity, that the key to spreading this message lies. 

Arleen said it best when she wrote, "...a message devoid of mercy and grace is not a Gospel message." 

If all of us Catholic would remember that when interacting with those around us, the world would be quite a different place. 

With all of that said, I would like to encourage all of you to go buy Arleen's book! It may be called Chastity is for Lovers, and it may have a picture of a girl on the front cover...but its content makes the truth clear:

Chastity is for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment