Wednesday, May 20, 2015

#CatholicHipsterDebate: Elevation Posture

"Behold, the Lamb of God..."


As a kid growing up, I have very fond memories of kneeling during the Elevation at Mass, and I'm sure many of you do as well. I can specifically remember my elderly grandfather kneeling down, shielding his eyes from the Eucharist as a sign of humility and unworthiness, and that moment has stuck with me all these years later. 

However, our posture during one of the most awe inspiring, profoundly moving parts of the Mass, became open to change at some point in the not-too-distant past. 

At most parishes I visit, including my very own, those gathered together stand during the Elevation. I understand that we are free to kneel at this point in the Mass, if we would like, but despite that, I thought this would be a great question for our latest edition of the Catholic Hipster Debate. 

What do you prefer at this point in the Mass and why? Kneeling or standing together? 

Open up your Twitter app, and let the debate begin, using the hashtag #CatholicHipsterDebate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment