Friday, December 26, 2014

Your "Over The Line" Holiday Moment

We're not here to discuss the debate between Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

That is way too mainstream.


That being said, every Catholic Hipster has a breaking point during the Christmas season. 

For some, its hearing this at Christmas Mass: "Wait, they changed the words? When did they change the words?"

For others, it's watching that episode of Thomas and Friends with you toddler where they refer to a Christmas tree as a "holiday tree." 

Still for others, it may be having to listen to your cousin (again) tell you his thoughts about the theory that Jesus wasn't born in December (please note: his thoughts come exclusively from Wikipedia and various internet message boards). 

For me, this year, it was volunteering at my kid's Pre-K class and watching the practice session for their holiday performance. Everything was going along great: Jingle Bells, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I was loving every minute of it. I know I probably shouldn't have been surprised, but when they busted into their final tune, I had to offer up my Catholic Hipster rage. 

Rather than the traditional We Wish You A Merry Christmas, I was forced to listen to We Wish You A Happy Holidays

In a room that was filled with a Christmas tree, covered in Christmas ornaments, with Christmas cookies baking in the oven, and construction paper Christmas stockings hung over a construction paper Christmas fireplace; I was listening to my child sing We Wish You A Happy Holidays.

Rest assured he was provided the corrected lyrics as soon as was possible. 

We're interested in hearing you "Over The Line" Catholic Hipster moment from this Christmas season. 

Leave us a note in the comments section, or hit us up on Twitter @theghissilent. 




No comments:

Post a Comment